Wednesday 17 January 2007

Creature comforts

I have internet already! I wasn't expecting that but my girlfriend sign up for broadband as a surprise for me. She really knows the way to a geek's heart!

The weather is really quite cold in Phoenix at the moment. I'd say it's on a par with October/November in the south of the UK but that doesn't begin to describe the difference in climate. It's incredibly dry here which means that I wake up so dehydrated that I feel like I've been out on the piss the night before and developed a monster hangover. This is incredibly unfair as I've not drunk very much at all so far. However, the weekend is looming which should remedy that little problem.

I came to visit for a couple of weeks late last year with the purpose of trying to figure out if I could live happily in Phoenix. Unfortunately the city is so unlike a city as I know it, that it's hard to size up. I'm told that the only thing you could call a city centre is a bunch of sky scrapers full of office workers. Tempe (the area I'm staying in) also has a centre but I've not seen it yet so it can't be that vital.

Anyway, in a bid to get some sort of impression of Phoenix and to do something completely out of the ordinary (for me anyway) I've booked tickets to see the local symphony orchestra play. Now why go to a desert town in the states to hear classical music played live when I've lived 50 minutes from London for the past ten years? Surely I should be hankering for a trip to a baseball game. (Can't wait for that BTW.) To be perfectly honest, I thought it might be a good excuse to wear a suit I bought last year but it turns out we're going casual 'cos this is the south west. I wonder if they sell chili dogs in the foyer...

No comments: